Links that I enjoyed around the web. No one else’s opinion but my own.
• Uploaded a ton of photos. Check them out.
• NBC casts Wonder Woman! ‘Friday Night Lights’ star lands coveted role I’ve never seen Adrianne Palicki act, however, I am so happy that this is going forward. For real this time.
• What Superhero Comics Look Like A great little article breaking down how Osborn #3 by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios is scripted and put together art-wise, also how it applies to the very best of current comic books.
3) Everybody wanted Uhura to kick some ass this time around. But they couldn’t figure out how to have her kick ass in a teeny minidress, without needing a lot of strategically placed lens flare. The writers spent two months trying to figure out a plot reason why Uhura might have to put on some pants, or maybe some leggings, for part of the movie. What if they go to a planet of leg-biting monsters, and she has to put some protective leg coverings on? Or maybe Spock shows her a special Vulcan ritual, in which practitioners must wear pants as a sign of devotion to pure logic?
• Andy Warhol, Nico, Robin And The Bats! Esquire Magazine Photoshoot 1967 This is an amazing. I’m such a Factory fangirl. If I could go back into time, I would go there and hang out.
• Legend of a Cowgirl An amazing Firefly fanvid about Zoe. Just perfect. I love it.
• Cobie Smulders Closes In On ‘Avengers’ Maria Hill has been cast.
• New Torchwood photo Spoilers. Though I don’t consider it very spoilery.
• Smouldering first trailer for X-Men: First Class tells the real story of the Cuban Missile Crisis It’s kind of like they took a bunch of Charles/Erik fanfic and made a movie. I hope it’s the awesome fanfic, not the stuff from the Pit of Voles.
• “Oops, she’s dead”. Once more with no feeling One of the main reasons why I’m not a Joss Whedon fan anymore. Spoilers for the Buffy’s Season 8 comic books.
• 10 black scifi characters who aren’t turned into cannon fodder One of my all-time favorite characters Charles Gunn from Angel makes this list of awesome characters.
• Doctor Who Infographic To Train The Next Generation Of Whovians Need to learn about Doctor Who? This will give you a quick refresh on who the Doctor is and has been.
• Men Who Do The Housework Are More Likely To Get The Girl That’s right, heterosexual guys, do your part of housework, and you’re more likely to get laid. Or at least more likely to have a very happy partner who wants to stay with you.
• 1980′s Businesswoman Comics Hilarious look at the ’80s business woman who wore boxy suits and worked too much.
The simple fact, the undeniable truth is that we women simply are not in command of our own stories. You see, who tells a story matters. Yet according to a new study by the Women’s Media Center, only 8 percent of all film writers are women.
• On dealing with dudes: An open letter to Penny Arcade On the Penny Arcade dickwolves rape fail and how the Penny Arcade guys aren’t bad guys, just really wrong here.
• Bill Gates Dumping Microsoft Shares By The Millions And their stock hasn’t been going up ever since Gates left the company.
• The Cake Cannibals Hahaha. I love Cake Wrecks. Someone really thought to make a pregnant cake put putting a baby doll in the middle of a Jell-o mold to make the stomach. Hilarious and creepy.
• A suitcase made for a bottle of bourbon and brass knuckles. And that’s all. Awesome.
Being the CEO of the company isn’t about power, authority, or glamour, it’s about washing the dishes when nobody else will.
• Complete History Of The Soviet Union, Arranged To The Melody Of Tetris
• Just say no … to robot marriage? Nothing frustrates me more than people who don’t support gay right as they are human rights. However, some homophobes go off the deep end. Like this guy who starts going off about robo-human love and Data. I guess he isn’t reading my Geordi/Data Star Trek: TNG fanfic.
• Groundbreaking study on transgender discrimination released at Creating Change This study makes me so sad. It needs to be out there, talking about all the discrimination and violence toward transgendered people. But it’s heartbreaking.
• Freedom’s Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Lose A wonderful article on how the Great American Novel and the ideal of it leaves out a lot of people. People who aren’t straight white males.
• Nancy Pearl’s Rule of 50 for dropping a bad book Librarian extraordinaire Nancy Pearl reminds us that not all books are created equal and not all books are worth your time. Life is short, and there’s a lot of reading to be done.
• How I Picked 10 Best Feminist Teen Books of All Time A rundown about how hard it is to pick a list of books and put the label of feminism on it.
• Books Are Doing Surprisingly Well That’s rights, books — the ones that are printed on paper — are selling at an all-time high. There are more books being printed then ever, and library membership (despite all those closures) is higher than ever.
• Author Neil Gaiman talks about how internet piracy has helped his book sales.
• Five myths about Ronald Reagan’s legacy Reagan didn’t do a lot of the things the current Right credits him with. For instance, he wasn’t popular; he raised taxes; and he didn’t want us at war. (Though with the exception of George W. Bush, I don’t imagine any president who saw any kind of war under their watch wanted it.)
• Mubarak steps down. But let’s be clear – Twitter had nothing to do with it Social media certainly helped spread the word, but it was the people, not the internet, that caused the revolution in Egypt.
• ‘Pro-life’ Republicans go after women and children in budget cuts I wish people would stop being obsessed with my uterus’ copyright and start focusing on children and mothers in need. Instead of complaining about them.
Recipes (I want to make.)
- Homemade French Bread
- Chinese Braised Soy Sauce Eggs
- Mac & Cheese with Squash and Spinach
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookies
- Brown Butter Spice Cake
- Chickpeas and Kale in the Tunisian Sahel Style
- Blood orange olive oil cake
• Iron-deficiency is not something you get just for being a lady Women, read this article. Print it out and give it to your doctor. If you’re low on iron, you could have something really wrong with you. It has nothing to do with having your period or being a woman. You have something wrong with me. Case in point, the only time I had a iron deficiency, I had a parasite.
• Science Guy Bill Nye Explains Why Evolution Belongs in Science Education Bill Nye is so awesome, and he’s completely correct that science needs to be taught properly in the classroom from a young age.
Science education: We should support it. Especially elementary school science. Nearly every rocket scientist got interested in it before they were 10. Everybody who’s a physician, who makes vaccines, who wants to find the cure for cancer. Everybody who wants to do any medical good for humankind got the passion for that before he or she was 10.
• 2,000 New Archaeological Sites Found Using Google Earth With their powers combined, science and technology can do so much awesome.
• Help Save Ballard Organics Local soap company Ballard Organics is in trouble. They make some awesome soap; support them to stay in business.
• Police Capture Tukwila Burglary Suspect Who Sparked Manhunt This was right down from my work. There were a ton of police everywhere, and helicopters flying over the buildings. Oh, just another day in Tukwila.
• HuffPo’s Achilles’ Heel: Search engine optimization won’t work forever. Huffington Post gets all their site via somewhat dark gray SEO tactics of word-stuffing. And sometime, Google’s going to turn on the content farm switch, which the Huffington Post may get labeled as.
• I Worked on the AOL Content Farm & It Changed My Life A really neat story about one guy’s move from a content farm to real technology journalism. A nice insight into how most content farms are staffed with actual people, not robots. At least not yet.
• Why I Need To Quit Facebook Yes. Yes, this 1,000 times.
• How Brands Can Make the Most of Facebook’s New Pages Everyone panic; Facebook changed things again.
• Employee Fired Over Facebook Comment Settles Lawsuit I’m really glad that this case was settle in the defendant’s favor. You shouldn’t be able to be fired when you share online in off-hours. Employees are an important voice. I believe people should be treated well by companies, and while there are always bad eggs, I think when there’s a big group of employees ready to complain, there’s something going wrong at the company.
• U.S. Resume Controversial File-Sharing Domain Seizures While the US government is demanding free internet for the rest of the world, they’re seizing file-sharing domains themselves.
• f.lux It changes the lighting on your computer to adjust to the sun, and it’s better for your eyes and sleep. I’ve been using it for over a week and love it.
• Daily Show & Colbert Report Return to Hulu Now maybe I’ll start watching them again. I just really hate Comedy Central’s interface.
• Photo Essay: Panda Bears of Chengdu They have giant heads and are so adorable.