Interesting stuff I found around the web.
• Chicks Dig GeekGirlCon
A great review of GeekGirlCon ’12 from Sheena, who was on the Chicks Dig Comics panel with me.
• Captain Marvel: DeConnick on Carol Danvers and the comics industry
Captain Marvel is beyond awesome.
• It’s Barbara Gordon-Meets-Nancy Drew In Adam Watson’s ‘The Batgirl Mysteries’
Full of love for this.
• How 163 People Helped A New Author
The value of building relationships and how to have others help you leverage your content.
• Why Content Strategies are Crucial for Everything
Richard reminds us that we need to have a strategy after the great content.
• How To Get More Comments On Your Articles
Get all the comments. Yeah, I need to implement several of these suggestions.
• A corporate leadership mantra: It’s not about you
Ian’s rant about remembering that your employees are affected by more than just you was spot on.
• 10 Leaders Who Aren’t Afraid to Be Transparent
Love this article about leader transparency. Love that Rand’s the first one. I hope in other lists like this to see more women’s names.
• Don’t call me mommy
Interesting point on “mompenuers.”
• The Fashion of Empathetic Selling
Yes. Yes. Yes. Understanding the needs of your clients, customers, bosses, etc. is key to best working with them.
• Women Can’t Gain Influence in Hollywood Because Women Don’t Look like Men
It’s so important that people see women in all types of jobs.
• The Great Geek Sexism Debate
A rundown of important geeky conventions and their struggles to deal with sexist harrassment.
• “Trampire:” Why the Public Slut Shaming of Kristen Stewart Matters for Young Women
Why how we treat our celebrity women reflects how we treat all women.
• Read My Cat Ears
Crazy cat ears that read your brain waves.
• How Women Could Easily Lose All Their Rights, As Told By A Game
It’s the Handmaiden’s Tale for the video game generation.
• What sort of glass you drink from predicts how fast you drink
Interesting study. And good notes for anyone planning a party with an open bar.
• 12 Hilarious Reviews Of A Pen Just For Women
Yep, Bic tried to make a special kind of pen for women. What?!
• Why Do So Many Pretty Female Comedians Pretend They’re Ugly?
I’m so fascinated about how comedy divides along gender lines.
• How To Avoid Punching People who tell you to Follow Your Passion (and find yours along the way)
Following your passion is the best. However, it takes time, sacrifice, hard work, and self-discovery to get there.
• Being Real Builds Trust
• It’s More Important to Be Kind than Clever
• People in Glass Closets: Anderson Cooper and Straight Responses to Coming Out
A great look at how important celebrities coming out is to the visibility of queer people.
• Stopping the Bad Dreams From Forming
Modern day monsters can be more scary than imaginary ones. Politics are so freaky when the personal is the political.
• Paul Ryan: Rape Just Another Method Of Conception
Things that make me so angry. #waronwomen
• Readability and SEO
Making your site readable is a huge win for everyone.
• Mobile Marketing 2015: Rethink Customer Acquisition, Intent Targeting
As always Avinash kills it with this data about mobile trends and how to capture a mobile audience for your own business. And then how to figure out their best use.
• How I Smacked Google Penguin In Its Ugly Little Beak
A very transparent story about a site owner who make some mistakes with bad link building and weak content, but made a recovery.
• A New Species: Video Infographics
An interesting take on what’s perhaps the next evolution of the infographic.
• The Hidden Cost Of Cheap SEO & Social Media Labor
Always be legit.
• Grant Shapps founded company selling software that breaches Google code
Not super thrilled that this is going to be one of the first real understandings of what internet marketers do.
• What is the single best piece of SEO advice?
A bunch of SEO experts weigh in on what’s the best piece of advice for SEO.
• 5 ways to use Google Analytics and make your SEO life easier
Aleyda gives some great tips about how to better use Google Analytics.
• Impact of Keyword Cannibalization: Beyond The SEO
Looking at how your landing pages affect more than just your SERP ranking.
• The Importance of a Strong Fan Base Vs. A Large Fan Base
How someone with a huge fanbase can have less value in their followers than someone with a small one.
• 40 Tips & Tricks To Help Improve Your Google+ Experience
An excellent round-up of tips for better use of G+.
• What Happened When I Stopped Following and Started Listening
A great look at how you should treat your social media audience: listen and engage. Mostly listen.
• Social Media ROI: How To Define a Strategic Plan
Wonderful look at how to measure the ROI of your social media campaigns.
• Social media demographics 2012: 24 sites including Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
A rundown of who uses what types of social networks.
• Being a Developer Makes You Valuable. Learning How to Market Makes You Dangerous
Love this look at how you can stretch yourself to be more.
• No more secrets: How technology is making honesty the only policy
Love this look at our more transparent future thanks to technology.
• Tips for Filming Whiteboard Presentations
Nick gives an awesome rundown at how to do your own whiteboard videos.
• Tech Confessional: The Googler Who Looked At The Worst Of The Internet
This is crazy, and it makes me think a little less of the world. Though it’s a good reminder of just how much Google has to rely on human raters, especially when dealing with images and video.