Links that I found across the web and enjoy. YMMV.
• Social vs SEO Lecture Series
I did a webinar on SEO and Social Media and how we need to work together.
• Dark Knight Rises and the Cumulative Villain
How the Dark Knight Rises works as part of a trilogy.
• This is why we can’t have nice things
Women-in-comics, still an issue.
• Lois Lane, Reporter
Lois Lane and her epic love of journalism.
• Design Your Company, Not Your Product
How to build a strong foundation for your company.
• Abandoned Walmart Recycled As Public Library
This is super cool. And what a better use of space.
• Narcissism: The Difference Between High Achievers and Leaders
Interesting correlation between successful leaders and those who aren’t.
• 10 Reasons Why You’ll Blow That Big Deal
Andrew wants to help make us CLOSE the deals. Not lose them.
• The Starter Marriage
Husbands is just awesome. You should go watch it right now if you haven’t already.
• DEFCON: Why conference harassment matters
So infuriating that this bullshit still goes on.
• A Feminist Review of ‘Snow White and the Huntsman’
As I saw this movie, all I can say is “yes.” Also that new Florence + the Machine song is amazing.
• High Heels — If They Hurt, You’re Doing it Wrong
That’s right, those high heels shouldn’t hurt your feet.
• Sixty percent of women are the primary breadwinner, but still doing most of the housework
Unsurprisingly, women still do most of household chores, even when we work just as much.
• Men of Silicon Valley: We’re sexist, we just don’t know it.
A nice writeup about how progressive men aren’t as always progressive as they like to think.
• Dating Sites Encourage Men to Be Interesting, Women to Be Doormats
Surprise, surprise. The world of online dating also doesn’t care that women have personalities and desires.
• How to Make a Rape Joke
Because yes, feminists can be funny.
• This is what online harassment looks like
Ugh. There are no WORDS to describe how ugly and horrible these trolls are.
• Jon Hamm Talks About Rape And The Lack Of Positive Male Role Models
Jon Hamm speaks out on the importance of male role models and teaching everyone about rape and the far-reaching consequences it has.
• My New Feminist Hero Is This 7-Year-Old Girl
This is just awesome.
• A Conversation With My 12 Year Old Self: 20th Anniversary Edition
Who doesn’t love a conversation with the past.
• Without Rules of Other People
The story of Herb and Dorothy and how two modest public workers became some of the largest collectors of modern art, donating almost 4,000 pieces to the MOMA.
• How To Work Better
Love this so much.
• UW prof says hacking lab is like a ‘modern day woodshop’
Freaking awesome hack lab at UW.
• Why Do I Have a Cast Iron Skillet?
The very true story of becoming a food and then unbecoming one.
• Obamacare bars discrimination against transgender people
This is so awesome for transgendered and genderqueer people. Discrimination in health care is the worst. Now if only we can make sure that all doctors get the proper education.
• Oxford University Changes Academic Dress Code for Transgender Students
Oxford makes it’s dress code now accessible for all gender identities.
• A Leader’s Renunciation of ‘Ex-Gay’ Tenets Causes a Schism
Only halfway there. I try to feel empathy, but as I was taken to therapy myself for being gay (as Christian literature my parents sought cited this guy), I have a hard time considering how many other lives have been affected in a negative way due to this bullshit.
• Three Things I Wish Someone Told Me About a Career in SEO
Yes, all of this, especially the need to always learn more.
• Disavow links you don’t trust & SEO Analyzer updates
Bing one ups Google by letting website owners “disavow” links in case of negative SEO.
• Road to MozCon: The State of SEO in 2012
Gianluca interviews MozCon speakers about SEO: the past, the future, and more.
• Rand Fishkin SEOmoz Mashup
The Rand Fishkin mash-up video of Whiteboard Fridays. Pretty amusing fan-art.
• Most Comments Are Horrible—Sites Look for Ways to Make Them Better
I love being a community manager. Except on the days that I’m reminded that 15-20% of all internet comments are name calling. It is a constant balance at how much you need to moderate and how to encourage your community to engage each other in a productive manner.
• Things I learned by flushing 3,000 followers
Lessons how to keep your Twitter profile clean and how to remember why you love Twitter.
• Define and Align: A Manageable Content and Social Media Marketing Process
How to create and build a solid content marketing strategy and integrate it into your social media plan.
• Fact or Fiction: Geek Girls and Technology
Women’s technology usage is superpassing mens, but our involvement in the creation and building of that tech is declining.